THE heatwave sweeping Spain has now claimed seven victims after a 40-year-old man died on the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage.
Also known as the Way of Saint James, the pilgrimage claims lives every year as people attempt to treck more than 500 miles in just over a month in sweltering heat.
Deaths were also recorded in Extremadura and Catalunya as a direct result of heat stroke, according to local officials.
Last week a 48-year-old construction worker and 78-year-old pensioner both died in Murcia due to the weather.
Temperatures are set to be high for the remainder of the week, with forecasters predicting more than 40C in some areas.
Despite the continual hot weather, firefighters now have the wildfire under control that had spread from Portugal’s Algarve into the southwestern region of Huelva.
Weather warnings were issued in 39 provinces across the country last week and the heat has been relentless since.
- British expat pensioners fear no-deal Brexit after already losing more than a fifth of their spending power - 17 Aug, 2018 @ 12:21
- WATCH: Hundreds left injured after wooden walkway collapses into sea at festival in Spain - 13 Aug, 2018 @ 13:52
- Virgin to test the Hyperloop One in Malaga after agreeing a deal with ADIF - 11 Aug, 2018 @ 16:00
- WATCH: Brazen couple have full on beach romp in broad daylight in Spain - 8 Aug, 2018 @ 12:41
- Andalucia calls for redistribution of migrant minors across Spain as infrastructure struggles to cope - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 13:04
- Seven dead in Spain as killer heatwave continues to spread across Europe - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 10:54
- WATCH: Russian Mafia leader arrested on Spain’s Costa del Sol while ‘plotting gang rival’s murder’ - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 18:10
- FOUND: 76-year-old British expat not seen for a week after leaving hospital found ‘injured but alive’ on Costa del Sol - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 10:57
- British lad ‘tried to take a poo over balcony’ before plunging six floors in Spain, remains in critical condition - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 17:15
- Second man dies in southern Spain as heatwave spreads across Europe - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 16:37