A BRITISH expat has miraculously survived after falling from a cruise ship and having to tread water for ten hours before being rescued.
Kay Longstaff, who lives on the Costa del Sol, fell overboard the Norweigan Star in Pula, Croatia, on Saturday night.
The 46-year-old, who lives in Benalmadena, had to spend the night treading water before she was rescued some 60 miles off the Croatia coast.
The former flight attendant for Virgin Atlantic is said to have relied upon her incredible stamina that can be attributed to her yoga practice.
She was eventually pulled from the water at around 9.30am local time yesterday around 1,300 metres from where she plunged into the 20c water.
One of her rescuers said: “She said the fact that she practices yoga helped her as she was fit.
“And she said she was singing to not feel cold in the sea overnight”.
The Norwegian Star cruise ship was heading from Croatia to Venice, Italy.
Kay was discharged from Pula hospital with no serious repercussions.
A spokesperson for the Norwegian Cruise Line said: “In the morning of August 19, a guest went overboard as Norwegian Star made her way to Venice.
“The Coast Guard was notified and a search and rescue operation ensued. We are pleased to advise that the guest was found alive, is currently in stable condition, and has been taken ashore in Croatia for further treatment.
“We are very happy that the individual, who is a UK resident, is now safe and will soon be reunited with friends and family.”
CCTV footage is not clear whether Kay jumped or fell overboard.
We have reached out to her for a comment.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33