ONE person has died and at least 11 others are injured after scaffolding collapsed at the Ritz Hotel in Madrid.
A concrete deck in the iconic building, which is undergoing a multi million euro renovation, fell at around 4pm yesterday.
It dragged the scaffolding in the inner courtyard from the sixth floor to the first, taking workers with it.
Two people have been taken to hospital with serious injuries and a field hospital has been set up at the scene.
— Emergencias Madrid (@EmergenciasMad) September 18, 2018
All involved were working at the scene at the time and three had to be pulled from the rubble, reported AFP.
It comes as the 110-year-old Ritz is undergoing renovations believed to cost around €99 million and is set to reopen at the end of 2019. It has been closed since February.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03