GENERAL Franco’s granddaughter has been slapped with a €525,063 fine for failing to declare profits from the sale of shares in the family’s property business.
The Tax Agency claimed the Duchess of Franco, Carmen Martínez-Bordiú, 67, sold shares in FR Promociones del Suroeste S.A. on the same date in 2006 as receiving a donation from her mother Carmen Franco – who has since died.
According to the Spanish treasury, socialite Martínez-Bordiú received a donation of €9 million, but fraudulently claimed she had only received €6.7 million.
The former contestant on Spain’s Strictly Come Dancing hit back at the media and authorities, claiming ‘the statements made by the press are absolutely distorted and insidious.’
She said: “I would like to clarify that in my personal income tax return for 2006 and 2007, I declared all the capital gains obtained from the sale of shares and accepting bonuses.”
Martínez-Bordiú’s brother Francisco Franco, 64, runs the property business and is currently appealing against a 30-month prison sentence he received this year following a Guardia Civil chase where he rammed their car.
He also hit the headlines for defending his dictator grandfather, saying the exhumation of Franco’s remains from the Valley of the Fallen mausoleum near Madrid ‘would simply divide Spaniards even more.’
His sister’s bill from the treasury is a drop in the ocean of the Franco estate’s total value, thought to be worth over €500 million.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53