A YOUTHFUL England side pulled no punches in Sevilla tonight, as they thrash Spain 3-2 in the Nations League.
The youngest England side since 1959 were 3-0 up inside 40 minutes, as they took the game to Spain with fast, counter-attacking football at the Estadio Benito Villamarín.
It is the first time Spain have lost on home soil to England in 29 games, as Gareth Southgate displayed a tactical masterclass using a side whose average age is just 23.
Forward-thinking, fearless play was key to England’s success tonight, as some of the magic of the Russia World Cup adventure returned for the thousands of England fans who made the journey to southern Spain.
What is evident is that Gareth Southgate has a crop of young talent to choose from, as his England side demonstrate that they are able to play with an attacking flair not seen since the heady days of the 90s.
Raheem Stirling ended his international goal drought, after he fired home in the 16th minute to break the deadlock, following an England break which started with a precise pass from goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
Just 13 minutes later Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford doubled the Three Lions’ advantage, calmly slotting home inside his United teammate David De Gea’s right-hand post, after a threaded pass from England skipper Harry Kane.
Kane was instrumental in England’s third too, as his square pass in the six-yard box, following a dinked Ross Barkley chip into the box, was latched onto by Stirling who duly dispatched to claim his second before halftime.
Just before the hour mark Spain pulled one back through a set piece, as Paco Alcacer’s deft flicked header found the back of Pickford’s net.
England held out the rest of the match, but a diving Sergio Ramos header in the last touch of the game saw Spain grab a late consolation goal and restore some pride for manager Luis Enrique and his Spain team.
England’s youthful team need tightening up at the back for sure, but with Southgate’s 4-3-3 formation and fast-flowing counter-attacking football, this England line-up prove that we have some very golden building blocks for international success. It’s on its way home.
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49