A YOUTHFUL England side pulled no punches in Sevilla tonight, as they thrash Spain 3-2 in the Nations League.
The youngest England side since 1959 were 3-0 up inside 40 minutes, as they took the game to Spain with fast, counter-attacking football at the Estadio Benito Villamarín.
It is the first time Spain have lost on home soil to England in 29 games, as Gareth Southgate displayed a tactical masterclass using a side whose average age is just 23.
Forward-thinking, fearless play was key to England’s success tonight, as some of the magic of the Russia World Cup adventure returned for the thousands of England fans who made the journey to southern Spain.
What is evident is that Gareth Southgate has a crop of young talent to choose from, as his England side demonstrate that they are able to play with an attacking flair not seen since the heady days of the 90s.
Raheem Stirling ended his international goal drought, after he fired home in the 16th minute to break the deadlock, following an England break which started with a precise pass from goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
Just 13 minutes later Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford doubled the Three Lions’ advantage, calmly slotting home inside his United teammate David De Gea’s right-hand post, after a threaded pass from England skipper Harry Kane.
Kane was instrumental in England’s third too, as his square pass in the six-yard box, following a dinked Ross Barkley chip into the box, was latched onto by Stirling who duly dispatched to claim his second before halftime.
Just before the hour mark Spain pulled one back through a set piece, as Paco Alcacer’s deft flicked header found the back of Pickford’s net.
England held out the rest of the match, but a diving Sergio Ramos header in the last touch of the game saw Spain grab a late consolation goal and restore some pride for manager Luis Enrique and his Spain team.
England’s youthful team need tightening up at the back for sure, but with Southgate’s 4-3-3 formation and fast-flowing counter-attacking football, this England line-up prove that we have some very golden building blocks for international success. It’s on its way home.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57