A FIREFIGHTER has been found dead this morning after being swept away in extreme floods while on duty in Andalucia.
The body of Jose Gil Gutierrez, 47, a veteran firefighter from the Antequera barracks was found this morning at around 10am.
A search for the husband and father-of-two has been carried out since dawn, after a truck in which Gutierrez was travelling was hit by the extreme floods in Campillos, reported Diario Sur.
According to sources close to the search operation, firefighters in the truck had tried to get on the roof of the vehicle when Gutierrez lost grip and was dragged away by the current.
They had not heard from him since, despite search teams working ‘tirelessly’ throughout the night.
His body was later found around 6km from the vehicle.
— Javier García Marín (@JaviMarinBlanco) October 20, 2018
Mayor of Antequera, Manuel Baron has declared three days of official mourning in honour of an ‘Antequerano who has died in the act of service’.
Spanish prime minister, Pedro Sanchez, offered ‘all solidarity’ with Malaga towns ‘battered by the floods’ and expressed his condolences on Twitter to the firefighter’s family.
Toda mi solidaridad con los pueblos malagueños de Bobadilla, Campillos, Casarabonela, Teba y Ardales, golpeados por las inundaciones. Mi más sentido pésame a la familia del bombero fallecido trabajando en la zona. Ánimo y apoyo a los afectados y a los efectivos de emergencias.
— Pedro Sánchez (@sanchezcastejon) October 21, 2018
Gutierrez’s fellow service men are said to be ‘broken in pain’ and do not know a man more ‘passionate’ and dedicated to the job than him.
The father had been working as a firefighter between Antequera and Coin since the body was established, before that he worked as a Proteccion Civil volunteer for years.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03