GIBRALTAR have moved eight places up the FIFA world rankings, climbing to 190th globally, after they won a match for the first time in their history.
The British Overseas Territory leapfrogs Bangladesh, The Cook Islands and Pakistan, having previously been 198th in the world.
It is the highest move in the world by any team and comes after Gibraltar, who became UEFA-affiliated back in 2013, won twice in the space of a week in the Nations League.
The Rock’s first piece of footballing history was made with their 1-0 win over Armenia in the Nations League, where a Joseph Chipolina penalty ended the team’s 22-match wait for their first competitive victory.
Days later Gibraltar claimed their second win, as they came from behind to beat Liechtenstein 2-1, with Chipolina getting on the score sheet again, after George Cabrera found the equaliser for the Gibraltarians.
Gibraltar also close the gap on neighbouring rivals Spain who remain 9th in FIFA’s standings, while England climb one place to 5th after they humiliated the Spanish 3-2 in Sevilla.
Belgium are now FIFA’s top-ranked team, followed by France, Brazil and Croatia.
If Gibraltar can do the double over Armenia when the sides meet again in the Nations League on November 16 then the British overseas territory are in with a chance of reaching the playoffs for Euro 2020.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59