GIBRALTAR have moved eight places up the FIFA world rankings, climbing to 190th globally, after they won a match for the first time in their history.
The British Overseas Territory leapfrogs Bangladesh, The Cook Islands and Pakistan, having previously been 198th in the world.
It is the highest move in the world by any team and comes after Gibraltar, who became UEFA-affiliated back in 2013, won twice in the space of a week in the Nations League.
The Rock’s first piece of footballing history was made with their 1-0 win over Armenia in the Nations League, where a Joseph Chipolina penalty ended the team’s 22-match wait for their first competitive victory.
Days later Gibraltar claimed their second win, as they came from behind to beat Liechtenstein 2-1, with Chipolina getting on the score sheet again, after George Cabrera found the equaliser for the Gibraltarians.
Gibraltar also close the gap on neighbouring rivals Spain who remain 9th in FIFA’s standings, while England climb one place to 5th after they humiliated the Spanish 3-2 in Sevilla.
Belgium are now FIFA’s top-ranked team, followed by France, Brazil and Croatia.
If Gibraltar can do the double over Armenia when the sides meet again in the Nations League on November 16 then the British overseas territory are in with a chance of reaching the playoffs for Euro 2020.
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33