KIND-HEARTED expats have rallied round an Irish expat, who lost everything after her home was destroyed in the Malaga flash floods, following an Olive Press appeal.
Trish McGough, 60, was desperate and unsure where to turn when she was left with ‘only the clothes on her back’ after her house, which backs onto the Rio Guadalevin, was flooded ‘almost up to the roof’ on Sunday.
Everything inside was ruined after the river, just metres behind Trish’s home, burst its banks as the walls of the 14th century banos arabes collapsed.
It comes after the Olive Press launched an appeal to help Trish get back on her feet last Friday, with a Go Fund Me page which has been inundated with donations, raising over €1,500 so far.
“Everybody has been amazing,” said the Dubliner, “there’s still good people in the world.
“Thank you so much to the Olive Press and everyone who has helped.”
Following the appeal, numerous expats have contacted the paper to help Trish clear out her home and offered blankets and clothes.
One expat visited the retiree over the weekend to help tidy up the house and drove a number of salvaged items to Trish’s friend’s house, where the Dubliner is temporarily staying.
Meanwhile an electrician friend of his has offered to help rewire the building.
The retiree had been struggling to clear the house after spraining her wrist having fallen during the floods.
Trish has now been sent help from the town hall, who have cleared most of the mud and damaged furniture.
“Now it needs plastering, painting and the floors all need doing again. There’s still a long way to go but I’m feeling more energised,” she added.
Trish still needs funds to restore the house and buy furniture and clothes.
To donate visit: www.gofundme.com/u7f3kz-help-trish-get-back-on-her-feet
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03