A MOTHER has been arrested after her 18-month-old baby was found dead in her Malaga apartment.
It comes after the baby’s auntie called emergency services at 6.45pm yesterday.
She and her husband had found its corpse in the home on Calle Viento in the city centre.
The woman, from Maghreb, said she had argued with her sister over her niece’s welfare.
Investigators said it was clear the baby had been dead for days and the mother was not in the flat.
Officers are probing to find out whether it was a case of neglect.
The mother was known to the police, as she was being monitored under a police protection programme, having been a victim of gender violence.
However, the officer assigned to her case said he had not been able to contact the woman for ‘several months’.
She did not answer calls nor answer the door at home and police launched an investigation to find her.
After the baby’s corpse was found, she was located and arrested.
The investigation continues.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03