A NEW expat novel about London’s gritty criminal underbelly has been taking the Costa del Sol by storm and is available just in time for Christmas.
“It’s gang warfare, romance and humour with a little bit of sex thrown in,” the book’s author Barry Waters told The Olive Press.
Barry, 63, from Newcastle, is happily retired in Manilva where he has lived with his wife Louise, 65, for five years.
It is the first novel from the British expat, who had previously focused on poetry, short stories and playing his guitar.
As well as being a writer with a license to thrill, Barry is also one of the Costa del Sol’s licensed boat skippers.
The Geordie author took his inspiration from a string of ‘less savoury’ pubs he used to frequent in Camberwell and Peckham.
“I saw vicious fights, bribery and bad arguments,” Barry said, “the police down there are all corrupt.”
The new novelist would sometimes write 1000 words a day, and despite spells of inevitable writer’s block, he always came back to the table to finish the next chapter.
“It is surprising how easy it was to write, it just flowed out,” said Barry, who was raised on a literary diet of Lee Child and books about the Kray Twins.
“My wife was very proud,” Barry added, “she’s backed me all the way and been very supportive.”
Barry also revealed that he is already ‘well into the sequel,’ and will even be taking inspiration for his follow-up from some of Manilva’s more unsavoury characters.
Until then, Destined for the Top is available at The Bookshop in Sabinillas and on Amazon.
- British men among seven arrested in Marbella for smuggling three tonnes of hash to Costa del Sol marinas - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 14:26
- WATCH: Spain’s Guardia Civil drag ‘drunk’ woman and partner off Ryanair flight after they told passenger ‘let’s take it outside’ mid-flight - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 12:22
- Dead body of ‘clothed’ middle-aged man found on beach in southern Spain - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 20:15
- Pedro Sanchez leads tributes to 14-year-old killed in motorcycle race in Spain’s Andalucia - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 11:25
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03