SPAIN loses a staggering €90 billion a year because of political corruption, new figures have revealed.
It is the fourth most corrupt country in the EU losing some 8% of its gross domestic profit, a study by Verdes en la Eurocamara shows.
According to the study, the UK loses 2.3% of its GDP on corruption – the second lowest figure in the EU, along with Denmark and Luxembourg, while the Netherlands is officially the least corrupt using 0.76%.
Spain follows Italy (€237 billion), France (more than €120 billion) and Germany (€104 billion), while corruption costs the EU €904 billion annually.
The €90 billion euros Spain has to pay for corruption is four times the budget allocated for unemployed benefits, more than 90% of annual health funds and 88% of pension payouts.
Spain has seen dozens of high case corruption cases since it became a democracy in the 1978.
The ERE scandal in Andalucia saw almost €1 billion stolen by leaders of the Junta.
The decade-long scandal saw politicians from the socialist-run government divert public money from an €855 million fund meant for unemployed and retired workers.
Other scandals like the Gurtel saw dozens of Partido Popular leaders accused of taking more than €450 million in backhanders in return for rewarding construction contracts and other favours.
It was the first time a sitting prime minister was forced to sit in the dock as Mariano Rajoy was questioned over his knowledge of the slush fund.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26