SPAIN loses a staggering €90 billion a year because of political corruption, new figures have revealed.
It is the fourth most corrupt country in the EU losing some 8% of its gross domestic profit, a study by Verdes en la Eurocamara shows.
According to the study, the UK loses 2.3% of its GDP on corruption – the second lowest figure in the EU, along with Denmark and Luxembourg, while the Netherlands is officially the least corrupt using 0.76%.
Spain follows Italy (€237 billion), France (more than €120 billion) and Germany (€104 billion), while corruption costs the EU €904 billion annually.
The €90 billion euros Spain has to pay for corruption is four times the budget allocated for unemployed benefits, more than 90% of annual health funds and 88% of pension payouts.
Spain has seen dozens of high case corruption cases since it became a democracy in the 1978.
The ERE scandal in Andalucia saw almost €1 billion stolen by leaders of the Junta.
The decade-long scandal saw politicians from the socialist-run government divert public money from an €855 million fund meant for unemployed and retired workers.
Other scandals like the Gurtel saw dozens of Partido Popular leaders accused of taking more than €450 million in backhanders in return for rewarding construction contracts and other favours.
It was the first time a sitting prime minister was forced to sit in the dock as Mariano Rajoy was questioned over his knowledge of the slush fund.
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10