OVER half of Spain’s 66 bridges with ‘serious safety problems’ are in Andalucia, government data has revealed.
The 66 bridges represent 0.29% of the 23,000 structures managed by the state, including underpasses, overpasses and viaducts.
Bridges’ safety are scored out of 100 and those that receive 81 or more points are described as having ‘potentially serious defects that could affect their resistant behaviour’.
Andalucia has 34 bridges in this category, followed by Galicia with 10 and Castilla y León with nine.
Of the total, 17 bridges have been repaired, while one has been torn down, as it was located on a B-road and no longer needed.
The investigation into Spain’s bridges by El Pais found that between 2009 and 2014, no money was spent on repairs.
Between 2014 and October of this year the government spent €116 million on structures that ‘represented a serious danger’.
A Public Works Ministry spokesperson said that most structures had recently undergone repairs and none were in danger of collapse.
A database called ‘Bridge Management System’, which details inspections, problems and corrective measures was shown to El Pais.
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08
- Expat killer Dave Mahon loses Supreme Court appeal over sentence for slaying brother of Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 13:40