A CIVIL servant who ran a multi-million euro drug empire in southern Spain has been arrested with 56 others.
Operation Albarraxín also led police to seize 10 tonnes of Moroccan hashish and €3.3 million in goods.
The gang led by the City Hall worker, imported 62 tonnes of hash a year to Spain’s Costa del Sol.
Guardia Civil agents first noticed the ‘very active’ gang in August, who employed speed boat captains to traffick drugs across the Strait of Gibraltar .
Police found drugs hidden in Manilva, Casares, San Enrique de Guadiaro, Tesorillo, Estepona, Tarifa and San Roque.
These areas were waiting points, from which the gang would distribute the drugs across Europe.
After the month-operation by police a judge investigating the case has sent half of the men to prison.
“It is one of the most important criminal organisations dedicated to drug trafficking between North Africa and Europe through the coast of Andalusia,” a police spokesperson said.
Documents seized by police are being analysed by specialists, who are investigating another division of the gang for money laundering.
A source close to the investigation told El Pais: “What’s important is that everything has been dismantled, although the investigation into money laundering continues.”
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33