A CIVIL servant who ran a multi-million euro drug empire in southern Spain has been arrested with 56 others.
Operation Albarraxín also led police to seize 10 tonnes of Moroccan hashish and €3.3 million in goods.
The gang led by the City Hall worker, imported 62 tonnes of hash a year to Spain’s Costa del Sol.
Guardia Civil agents first noticed the ‘very active’ gang in August, who employed speed boat captains to traffick drugs across the Strait of Gibraltar .
Police found drugs hidden in Manilva, Casares, San Enrique de Guadiaro, Tesorillo, Estepona, Tarifa and San Roque.
These areas were waiting points, from which the gang would distribute the drugs across Europe.
After the month-operation by police a judge investigating the case has sent half of the men to prison.
“It is one of the most important criminal organisations dedicated to drug trafficking between North Africa and Europe through the coast of Andalusia,” a police spokesperson said.
Documents seized by police are being analysed by specialists, who are investigating another division of the gang for money laundering.
A source close to the investigation told El Pais: “What’s important is that everything has been dismantled, although the investigation into money laundering continues.”
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38