AN Irish mafia member has been found dead in Marbella after falling from a hotel balcony.
Michael Cumberton, a prominent member of the Kinahan cartel, fell to his death from the yet unnamed hotel on Saturday.
It comes after the key figure in the gang’s Spain operation was warned from Ireland’s Gardai that he was under threat from dissident Republicans in 2016.
The younger brother of famed hit man Eamonn, Cumberton was warned that he was to be targeted after his brother murdered Real IRA man Michael Barr at the Sunset House Pub in Dublin in April 2016.
According to the Sun, Cumberton had been staying with head honcho Daniel Kinahan in his luxury Marbella apartment.
Kinahan gave Cumberton lodgings as a favour in return for his brother’s arrest over the Barr hit.
While Cumberton was a high profile target, Spanish police are treating his death as an accident.
He had been working closely with another Dublin drug kingpin who had taken over the cartel’s operations in Spain.
Sources told the Irish Sun that ‘he fell off a balcony, it is being treated as a tragic accident.’
The source added: “He had been staying in different parts of Spain with other cartel members and was a close associate of Daniel Kinahan… he was a player for the cartel in Spain and this will be a huge blow to their operation over there.”
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20