POLICE believe the Irish mafia member who plunged to his death in Marbella took his own life.
Michael Cumberton, 30, a prominent member of the Kinahan cartel was found dead on Saturday after falling from a hotel balcony.
The body of the dead gangster, who is the younger brother of contract killer Eamonn Cumberton, was found lay in the inner courtyard.
Sources close to the investigation of Cumberton’s death told the Irish Sun that police have ruled out foul play.
It comes as Republican dissidents plotted to kill him in revenge for his brother Eamonn murdering Real IRA member Michael Barr at the Sunset House Pub in Dublin in April 2016.
After Ireland’s Gardai warned him he was in danger, Cumberton fled to the Costa del Sol where he moved in with the gang’s boss Daniel Kinahan.
Cumberton fell from the fourth floor of the block where he rented the apartment from Daniel, who currently resides in Dubai.
A source told the Irish Sun: “Homicide or anything sinister has been completely discounted in this investigation, cops are satisfied no third person was involved.
“The body bore no signs of struggle or violence other than injuries normally associated with such a fall.”
- WATCH: Police in Spain ‘fire rubber bullets’ at Scottish football fans after Benidorm bar ‘torched’ and man arrested for crystal meth - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:08
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09