In 2015 just 50 British people registered Spanish citizenship applications, but in the first 10 months of 2018 that number had soared to 166.
The 232% surge in applications by British nationals over three years was revealed by Spain’s General Department for Registries and Notaries.
Britain is fourth in the EU for Spanish citizenship applications after Romanians, Italians and Bulgarians.
Meanwhile Moroccans placed 10,067 applications from January to October this year, as Venezuelans put in 2,001, reported El Pais.
After the 1922 Committee received the 48 letters required to trigger a no-confidence vote, May said that should she lose, a new PM would have to delay Brexit.
So far 100 MPs have publicly said they will back May’s leadership, while at least 48 would vote against her.
The required number of votes to oust May is 158, but any number upward of 100 would put the UK leader on shaky ground.
Speaking outside Downing Street this morning, May said: “I will contest that [no-confidence] vote with everything I have got.”
Boris Johnson is the favourite among MPs as a would-be replacement for May, while Home Secretary Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab, Esther McVey, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg are among the other frontrunners.
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- REVEALED: Which of Spain’s regions will be having the most sex this Valentine’s Day - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00