In 2015 just 50 British people registered Spanish citizenship applications, but in the first 10 months of 2018 that number had soared to 166.
The 232% surge in applications by British nationals over three years was revealed by Spain’s General Department for Registries and Notaries.
Britain is fourth in the EU for Spanish citizenship applications after Romanians, Italians and Bulgarians.
Meanwhile Moroccans placed 10,067 applications from January to October this year, as Venezuelans put in 2,001, reported El Pais.
After the 1922 Committee received the 48 letters required to trigger a no-confidence vote, May said that should she lose, a new PM would have to delay Brexit.
So far 100 MPs have publicly said they will back May’s leadership, while at least 48 would vote against her.
The required number of votes to oust May is 158, but any number upward of 100 would put the UK leader on shaky ground.
Speaking outside Downing Street this morning, May said: “I will contest that [no-confidence] vote with everything I have got.”
Boris Johnson is the favourite among MPs as a would-be replacement for May, while Home Secretary Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab, Esther McVey, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg are among the other frontrunners.
- Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo will ‘celebrate’ if Brexit cancelled - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Police investigation as British woman in Spain smashed in head by lorry doors and airlifted to hospital - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:59
- British expats in Spain among 100 homeowners to face compulsory purchases of land due to huge pylon network - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:04
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15