In 2015 just 50 British people registered Spanish citizenship applications, but in the first 10 months of 2018 that number had soared to 166.
The 232% surge in applications by British nationals over three years was revealed by Spain’s General Department for Registries and Notaries.
Britain is fourth in the EU for Spanish citizenship applications after Romanians, Italians and Bulgarians.
Meanwhile Moroccans placed 10,067 applications from January to October this year, as Venezuelans put in 2,001, reported El Pais.
After the 1922 Committee received the 48 letters required to trigger a no-confidence vote, May said that should she lose, a new PM would have to delay Brexit.
So far 100 MPs have publicly said they will back May’s leadership, while at least 48 would vote against her.
The required number of votes to oust May is 158, but any number upward of 100 would put the UK leader on shaky ground.
Speaking outside Downing Street this morning, May said: “I will contest that [no-confidence] vote with everything I have got.”
Boris Johnson is the favourite among MPs as a would-be replacement for May, while Home Secretary Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab, Esther McVey, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg are among the other frontrunners.
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08
- Expat killer Dave Mahon loses Supreme Court appeal over sentence for slaying brother of Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 13:40