DOG walkers on the Costa del Sol will now be FINED if they don’t clean up their pet’s urine.
Walkers in Benalmadena will now have to wash the wee away with water and vinegar or soap following a change in the local legislation yesterday.
“With this change we have responded to a demand from a majority of citizens who complained about dog urine on lampposts and outside their homes,” said mayor Victor Navas.
“This change seeks to raise awareness that having a pet entails responsibility and collaboration to keep the streets clean.”
The town hall said the move was aimed at reducing the odor of dog urine which in some parts has become overwhelming.
It noted that many Spanish cities see dog walkers carry a bottle filled with water and vinegar for when their furry friend empties their bladder on the street.
According to the new law, dogs are now officially forbidden from urinating on street furniture, buildings and vehicles.
Owners must be armed with a bottle of water and soap or vinegar to wash the wee off public roads.
They must also try to use dog designated areas where possible.
Policia Local now have the right to fine dog walkers who break the new guidelines, although by how much has not been announced.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14