DOG walkers on the Costa del Sol will now be FINED if they don’t clean up their pet’s urine.
Walkers in Benalmadena will now have to wash the wee away with water and vinegar or soap following a change in the local legislation yesterday.
“With this change we have responded to a demand from a majority of citizens who complained about dog urine on lampposts and outside their homes,” said mayor Victor Navas.
“This change seeks to raise awareness that having a pet entails responsibility and collaboration to keep the streets clean.”
The town hall said the move was aimed at reducing the odor of dog urine which in some parts has become overwhelming.
It noted that many Spanish cities see dog walkers carry a bottle filled with water and vinegar for when their furry friend empties their bladder on the street.
According to the new law, dogs are now officially forbidden from urinating on street furniture, buildings and vehicles.
Owners must be armed with a bottle of water and soap or vinegar to wash the wee off public roads.
They must also try to use dog designated areas where possible.
Policia Local now have the right to fine dog walkers who break the new guidelines, although by how much has not been announced.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38