THE Spanish government is set to present a suicide prevention plan after it was revealed 10 Spaniards took their own life every single day last year.
The shocking stats were released by the national institute of statistics this week.
It showed that for every year since 2007, suicide has been the leading cause of unnatural deaths – deaths not caused by disease or illness – in Spain.
Last year alone saw 3,679 Spaniards take their own lives, a 3.1% increase on the year before.
The majority of suicides were attributed to men, accounting for 2,718 of such deaths last year (74%).
In fact in Spanish women, it is not the leading cause of unnatural deaths, following both accidental falls and deaths by drowning, submersion or suffocation.
Traffic accidents have fallen to become the third most external cause of death in males and fourth in women.
This is believed to have been attributed to several social awareness campaigns and education programmes.
Unnatural deaths account for 3.7% of deaths in Spain.
The other 96.3% – 408,686 deaths last year – are due to natural causes.
For men, the main cause of death is tumors, with lung and colon cancer being the biggest killers, followed by circulatory diseases.
In women, circulatory diseases are the biggest killers, mostly strokes, followed by cancer.
The cancer that causes most deaths among women is breast cancer, while lung cancer climbed to second place for the first time last year.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20