THE government has granted neighbours powers to limit the expansion of tourist renters in their building.
Following the success of rental platforms like Airbnb, the Ministry of Development has used a Royal Decree to curb tourist rental effects on local communities.
In a bid to put Spanish citizens first, the government has reduced the required majority to ban new tourist flats from being built in an area.
Previously, a unanimous decision was required from residents, but under the new reforms, groups of residents will only need a majority of three fifths.
This will make it easy for communities to limit or apply conditions to tourist rentals in their areas.
It will therefore be far easier for residents groups to bump up the price for tourists renting in their area, as well establishing special quotas.
Spanish Minister José Luis Ábalos backed ‘more people who use the common areas paying more’.
This Royal Decree of Urgent Measures has also been employed to change Urban Leasing Law so that it no longer covers tourist properties, which instead will be regulated at a regional level.
The new measures ‘help the autonomous communities to mitigate the difficulties of control of housing of tourist use and gives more capacity to the communities of owners’, according to Reyes Maroto, Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08