TWO Andalucian villages have made Homeaway’s Seven Rural Wonders of Spain list.
Voted for by the travel website’s clients, in fourth place the Moorish hilltop white village of Vejer de la Frontera charmed visitors with its crooked streets and secret flower-filled patios.
Set in a fertile green valley surrounded by the orchards of Cadiz, this best-kept village has been declared a historical-artistic complex.
Carmona near Sevilla, whose stunning Roman necropolis is one of the best-preserved in Europe, came sixth on the shortlist of 20.
The village is loved for its impressive castle and Roman and Arab remains and lives up to the motto bestowed on it by King Ferdinand when he recaptured it from the Moors in 1247: ‘As the morning star shines in the dawn, so shines Carmona in Andalucia’.
The list was topped by the obscure hamlet of Robledillo de Gata in the Sierra de Gata mountain range near Casares. Chelva in Valencia came second, followed by Ribadesella, Asturias (3rd), Valderrobres, Teruel (5th) and Najera, La Rioja (7th).
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- British tourists’ spending up in first quarter of 2019 with Andalucia the main destination for UK holidaymakers - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 09:25