TWO Andalucian villages have made Homeaway’s Seven Rural Wonders of Spain list.
Voted for by the travel website’s clients, in fourth place the Moorish hilltop white village of Vejer de la Frontera charmed visitors with its crooked streets and secret flower-filled patios.
Set in a fertile green valley surrounded by the orchards of Cadiz, this best-kept village has been declared a historical-artistic complex.
Carmona near Sevilla, whose stunning Roman necropolis is one of the best-preserved in Europe, came sixth on the shortlist of 20.
The village is loved for its impressive castle and Roman and Arab remains and lives up to the motto bestowed on it by King Ferdinand when he recaptured it from the Moors in 1247: ‘As the morning star shines in the dawn, so shines Carmona in Andalucia’.
The list was topped by the obscure hamlet of Robledillo de Gata in the Sierra de Gata mountain range near Casares. Chelva in Valencia came second, followed by Ribadesella, Asturias (3rd), Valderrobres, Teruel (5th) and Najera, La Rioja (7th).
- Stunning Sarmiento offers a lot more than the best view on the Costa del Sol - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 16:05
- Historic building awards from the Gibraltar Heritage Trust - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 11:16
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58