MOROCCAN authorities have detained a Swiss-Spanish national in connection with the brutal killing of two Scandinavian backpackers.
Maren Ueland, 28 from Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24 from Denmark were slaughtered while camping in the Atlas Mountains.
Counter-terrorism officers in the north African country claim the man taught social media and archery skills to some other suspects arrested in connection with the killings.
The women’s corpses were located on December 17 and police currently believe the killers are affiliated to Islamic State (IS).
So far 20 men have been arrested in the investigation into the killing, which took place near to the tourist village of Imlil.
Four of those men arrested are main suspects, all of whom pledged allegiance to IS just three days before the double killing occurred.
Hundred’s from Maren’s hometown of Bryne held a candlelit vigil for her last week, including many family and friends.
“We want to show that we care about each other, and that we are together for a kinder world,” said Odd Ivar Nese, one of those who organised the event, the Mail reported.
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17