MOROCCAN authorities have detained a Swiss-Spanish national in connection with the brutal killing of two Scandinavian backpackers.
Maren Ueland, 28 from Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24 from Denmark were slaughtered while camping in the Atlas Mountains.
Counter-terrorism officers in the north African country claim the man taught social media and archery skills to some other suspects arrested in connection with the killings.
The women’s corpses were located on December 17 and police currently believe the killers are affiliated to Islamic State (IS).
So far 20 men have been arrested in the investigation into the killing, which took place near to the tourist village of Imlil.
Four of those men arrested are main suspects, all of whom pledged allegiance to IS just three days before the double killing occurred.
Hundred’s from Maren’s hometown of Bryne held a candlelit vigil for her last week, including many family and friends.
“We want to show that we care about each other, and that we are together for a kinder world,” said Odd Ivar Nese, one of those who organised the event, the Mail reported.
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40