THE British family of a grandma in a coma have slammed their insurers after being made to pay almost €6000 to fly her home.
Patricia Reid, 61, suffered a brain haemorrhage on the last day of her holiday in Malaga, The Sun reported.
Originally from Cambuslang, Scotland Patricia was in intensive care at a local hospital, while her family thought the European travel insurance covered the medical bills.
The Scottish gran suffers from cardiomyopathy and asthma, but the company claim she never mentioned the conditions and so has the wrong insurance.
Insurance firm InsureandGo told the family that an air ambulance back to the UK would not be covered under her plan.
“They gave us an ultimatum, sign this disclaimer, or we can’t take the air ambulance to the next stage,” said, Patricia’s son Alan, 32, to The Sun.
Alan labelled the company ‘complete scumbags’ and alleged the company were ‘moving the goalposts’, as his mum’s conditions had been declared.
The family eventually signed a form and were forced to shell out an eye-watering €5882 to fly their sick gran home.
Patricia is now in a life-threatening coma and son Alan said it will be a ‘miracle’ if she survives.
In a statement to The Sun, InsureandGo said: “We’re really sorry to hear about Mrs Reid.”
“However, when we listened to the sales call relating to her latest insurance policy, we found she didn’t declare any medical conditions at all.”
Alan has now set up a GoFundMe page to support paying off the costs of flying Patricia back.
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08
- Expat killer Dave Mahon loses Supreme Court appeal over sentence for slaying brother of Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 13:40