A DARING adventurer has set sail from Spain in a barrel in a bid to float across the Atlantic Ocean using only sea currents.
Jean-Jacques Savin, 71, aims to reach the Caribbean in three months after beginning his bizarre voyage in El Hierro, the Canary Islands.
At just 3m by 2.10m, the bright orange barrel, complete with a kitchen and bed, cost €60,000 and features a porthole in the floor for watching fish.
“The weather is great. I’ve got a swell of one metre and I’m moving at 2-3km/h… I’ve got favourable winds forecast until Sunday,” said Savin.
The Frenchman departed with a bottle of white wine to see in the new year, a bottle of red for his birthday on January 14 and even a block of foie gras pate.
The former military paratrooper aims to reach Barbados, but joked that he would ‘like it to be a French island’ as it would ‘be easier for the paperwork and for bringing the barrel back’.
The resin-coated reinforced plywood capsule is built to be wave-resistant and is strong enough to resist killer whale attacks.
Although the French veteran’s excursion is reminiscent of an old storybook, the trip will help oceanographers from JCOMMOPS study sea currents.
Those interested in the mammoth journey can keep updated through the ‘TESA : Traversée de l’Atlantique en Tonneau’ Facebook page.
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08
- Expat killer Dave Mahon loses Supreme Court appeal over sentence for slaying brother of Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 13:40