A DARING adventurer has set sail from Spain in a barrel in a bid to float across the Atlantic Ocean using only sea currents.
Jean-Jacques Savin, 71, aims to reach the Caribbean in three months after beginning his bizarre voyage in El Hierro, the Canary Islands.
At just 3m by 2.10m, the bright orange barrel, complete with a kitchen and bed, cost €60,000 and features a porthole in the floor for watching fish.
“The weather is great. I’ve got a swell of one metre and I’m moving at 2-3km/h… I’ve got favourable winds forecast until Sunday,” said Savin.
The Frenchman departed with a bottle of white wine to see in the new year, a bottle of red for his birthday on January 14 and even a block of foie gras pate.
The former military paratrooper aims to reach Barbados, but joked that he would ‘like it to be a French island’ as it would ‘be easier for the paperwork and for bringing the barrel back’.
The resin-coated reinforced plywood capsule is built to be wave-resistant and is strong enough to resist killer whale attacks.
Although the French veteran’s excursion is reminiscent of an old storybook, the trip will help oceanographers from JCOMMOPS study sea currents.
Those interested in the mammoth journey can keep updated through the ‘TESA : Traversée de l’Atlantique en Tonneau’ Facebook page.
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48