FOR the first time ever Gibraltar will be able to design its own 12-sided one pound coin, the Royal Mint has revealed.
But the Rock is expected to create a new design with a map showing the EU area without the UK.
The 14 UK Overseas Territories are expected to produce coins with ‘images celebrating their heritage,’ according to the UK Treasury.
However Gibraltar, which is set to leave the EU on March 29 despite voting 96% to remain, appears to be recognising Brexit with its new mintage.
“The current thinking is to have an outline map of the EU area without the UK, with the Union Jack symbolising the past and the future,” said a spokesperson for the Government of Gibraltar.
The Government did say that they did not know at this stage how the design would be selected or who the designer would be.
Introduced in 2017, the 12-sided one pound coin is the ‘most secure of its kind in the world’, according to the Treasury.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59