The Chief Minister said a pre-Brexit election would be ‘irresponsible’, despite the ‘potential partisan advantage’ in doing so.
Despite a recent Panorama poll putting Picardo and the GSLP ahead, the Rock’s leader batted down calls for an early general election.
In an interview with the Gibraltar Chronicle he also said he would not rule out a second referendum, but admitted Gibraltar would cooperate with the UK government.
He said: “As long as that [Brexit] is not extended after March, I can rule out the possibility of an election before the 29th of March this year.”
Acknowledging his party’s advantageous position, he admitted it was more important to make preparations for the potential ‘context of a hard Brexit’.
Picardo’s comments come against a backdrop of Brexit turmoil in the UK, where Theresa May faces a Commons vote on her Brexit deal next week.
The Prime Minister is expected to lose the vote on her Withdrawal Agreement set to be held in Parliament on January 15.
Meanwhile she has said this week that she is seeking further assurances from the European Union in a bid to gain support for her Brexit deal.
But Labour have accused May and some ministers of trying to ‘run down the clock’ to try and get the UK to accept a bad deal.
May will be boosted by the support of Picardo however, who has been one of the consistent supporters in her Brexit negotiations.
Picardo said: “It is safer for Gibraltar to remain [in the EU], but if the UK is fixed on leaving, our role must be to ensure the protection for Gibraltar in the context of that leaving.”
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03