A MALAGA restaurant has been voted the 10th best in Spain, while nine other Andalucian eateries made the top 100.
The list of gastronomic brilliance was compiled by TripAdvisor’s new app and reservation platform ElTenedor, which analysed more than 12 million user opinions.
Ocho in Malaga is the restaurant deemed Spain’s 10th best and its co-owner David Perrin Cortés told the Olive Press he is ‘thrilled’ with the ranking.
“ElTenedor’s results are based on client feedback, so it means a lot and makes what we are trying to do worthwhile,” he said.
Located on Calle Pedro de Toledo, Ocho are about fresh Argentine-inspired cooking and seasonal produce.
Yet despite the South American link, Perrin Cortés was keen to talk up the culinary offerings of southern Spain.
“Andalucia is the garden of Spain,” he says. “There is so much fresh seafood and vegetables here.”
The humble restaurater admitted Ocho had no plans to expand in 2019, but said: “We will try and improve. We are trying to keep things real and small.”
Five more Malaga kitchens join Ocho in the list selected by El Tenedor, while Casares, Granada, Sevilla and Almeria also get a look-in with one each.
Sarmiento, placed number 34 in the hot 100, is the newly opened Casares restaurant, whose food centres around the pillars of the Andalucian lifestyle: ‘authenticity, spontaneity and enjoyment of family’.
Another pick of the bunch in Andalucia is Ta-Kumi, a Japanese ‘cuisine and gastro bar’, with branches in Marbella and Malaga.
Meanwhile, Martín Berasategui’s self-titled restaurant in the Basque town of Lasarte-Oria was ranked the number one restaurant in Spain.
His eponymous eatery has been awarded three Michelin stars since 2001, while he personally holds more than any other Spanish chef with eight.
Just south of San Sebastian, his restaurant’s a la carte menu is lit up by dishes like ‘basil and coral gazpacho with diced and cured rockfish and horseradish’.
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58
- Spain’s Supreme Court blocks reburial of General Franco just days before body due to be dug up - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 17:49