GRENADES, submachine guns and detonators have been seized by police in Spain from a stolen UK-registered car.
The weapons were found in an abandoned Volkswagen Golf, which was towed from a quiet street in the expat area of Benahavis.
UK authorities had notified Spanish cops that the vehicle was stolen and asked them to monitor it, but no one approached the car.
When police opened up the motor in the pound they found a loaded pistol in the glovebox, a rucksack containing two submachine guns, four boxes of ammunition, two hand grenades and two explosives detonators in the boot.
Spanish police confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
It comes as Benahavis saw a bomb attack in October, when explosives were detonated outside the house of the owner of a car wash.
A simultaneous blast also destroyed the car wash in Marbella, where one person was arrested, while two more were held in Malmo, Sweden.
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17