GRENADES, submachine guns and detonators have been seized by police in Spain from a stolen UK-registered car.
The weapons were found in an abandoned Volkswagen Golf, which was towed from a quiet street in the expat area of Benahavis.
UK authorities had notified Spanish cops that the vehicle was stolen and asked them to monitor it, but no one approached the car.
When police opened up the motor in the pound they found a loaded pistol in the glovebox, a rucksack containing two submachine guns, four boxes of ammunition, two hand grenades and two explosives detonators in the boot.
Spanish police confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
It comes as Benahavis saw a bomb attack in October, when explosives were detonated outside the house of the owner of a car wash.
A simultaneous blast also destroyed the car wash in Marbella, where one person was arrested, while two more were held in Malmo, Sweden.
- RURAL RETURN: Music, dance and theatre festival run by Brit in rural inland town celebrates fifth anniversary - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 21:00
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44