GRENADES, submachine guns and detonators have been seized by police in Spain from a stolen UK-registered car.
The weapons were found in an abandoned Volkswagen Golf, which was towed from a quiet street in the expat area of Benahavis.
UK authorities had notified Spanish cops that the vehicle was stolen and asked them to monitor it, but no one approached the car.
When police opened up the motor in the pound they found a loaded pistol in the glovebox, a rucksack containing two submachine guns, four boxes of ammunition, two hand grenades and two explosives detonators in the boot.
Spanish police confirmed that an investigation is ongoing.
It comes as Benahavis saw a bomb attack in October, when explosives were detonated outside the house of the owner of a car wash.
A simultaneous blast also destroyed the car wash in Marbella, where one person was arrested, while two more were held in Malmo, Sweden.
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40