BRITISH expat drivers in Spain have been urged to get a Spanish driving licence as soon as possible in case of a no-deal Brexit.
Failure to do so, according to the British government, could mean they will have to pass a test after the UK leaves the EU on March 29.
The government also said those living in the UK who want to drive in the EU after 29 March might need an international driving permit (IDP).
British insurers AA estimated as many as half a million expats living in France and Spain would have to take a new test if they had not exchanged their licence, should there be no deal.
The guidance released on Monday said: “In the event that there is no EU exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there.
“You should consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible.
“Increased demand may lead to longer processing times and delays to exchanging driving licences the closer it is to 29 March 2019.”
Brits would be able to have a British licence again if they went back to the UK.
International permits may be obligatory for Brits travelling to the EU post-Brexit.
They cost around €6 and are available at selected post offices in Britain.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27