MARBELLA City Council have confirmed they will build 3,300 new parking spaces in a plan that ‘prioritises’ pedestrians.
The €1.7 million deal involves opening up more outdoor areas, renovating existing car parks and building new facilities.
Meanwhile densely populated areas like Miraflores, Santa Marta and Plaza de Toros will have more underground parking.
The city’s mayor Ángeles Muñoz said she wants to make Marbella a city for pedestrians and create ‘easy, accessible and cheap parking’.
According to the city chief, the price of parking in Marbella is currently ‘very high’.
Muñoz also revealed that ‘dissuasive’ measures are being considered in a bid to encourage people to walk or use public transport.
Some of the money allocated by the Ministry of Finance for the projects has been taken from fines that relate to corruption.
The proposals to increase city parking began in 2015, under the ‘urban mobility plan’ that dictates that the entire €1.7 million fund must be spent in 2019.
Among the sites to be renovated is the Postigo Street car park with 80 spaces, which will see an €83,000 cash injection.
The football stadium is another site being considered for underground parking, while the San Pedro area is set to see between 1,000 and 1,200 new spaces.
Other areas destined for extra spaces include El Salto (150), El Juncal (250), the Guadaiza Institute (150), the Teresa León school (200) and Nueva Alcántara (150).
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25