MARBELLA City Council have confirmed they will build 3,300 new parking spaces in a plan that ‘prioritises’ pedestrians.
The €1.7 million deal involves opening up more outdoor areas, renovating existing car parks and building new facilities.
Meanwhile densely populated areas like Miraflores, Santa Marta and Plaza de Toros will have more underground parking.
The city’s mayor Ángeles Muñoz said she wants to make Marbella a city for pedestrians and create ‘easy, accessible and cheap parking’.
According to the city chief, the price of parking in Marbella is currently ‘very high’.
Muñoz also revealed that ‘dissuasive’ measures are being considered in a bid to encourage people to walk or use public transport.
Some of the money allocated by the Ministry of Finance for the projects has been taken from fines that relate to corruption.
The proposals to increase city parking began in 2015, under the ‘urban mobility plan’ that dictates that the entire €1.7 million fund must be spent in 2019.
Among the sites to be renovated is the Postigo Street car park with 80 spaces, which will see an €83,000 cash injection.
The football stadium is another site being considered for underground parking, while the San Pedro area is set to see between 1,000 and 1,200 new spaces.
Other areas destined for extra spaces include El Salto (150), El Juncal (250), the Guadaiza Institute (150), the Teresa León school (200) and Nueva Alcántara (150).
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00