A WANTED British expat has been arrested in Marbella for raking in more than £1 million a year through drug trafficking.
The 44-year-old man from Liverpool – whose identity has not yet been revealed – was arrested under a European Arrest Warrant in San Pedro de Alcantara on Thursday.
Officers identified the wanted Brit as he was leaving a gym close to his Spanish home.
On approaching him, the Liverpudlian grabbed a metal bench and threw it at an officer’s head before running away.
Officers managed to catch and arrest him a few metres down the road.
According to the European Arrest Warrant, the expat is wanted for crimes related to drug trafficking in the UK, for which he cashed in a profit of more than £1 million (around €1.1 million) per year.
Police revealed that he fled the UK while on bail. He was expected to serve a maximum sentence of 19 years.
A court date is expected to be set in the coming weeks.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03