MISSING German Shepherd Murph has been found dead after a huge search effort in Rio Grande.
British expat Hayley Coulby lost her dog over Christmas when he was attacked by a pack of strays on a walk.
But Murph was confirmed dead on Sunday afternoon when his body was found by volunteers who had set off from the BP garage in the morning.
It is unclear how Hayley’s four-legged friend died, but he was thought to have been dead for some time.
The family, which includes Hayley’s four-year-old daughter and Murph’s canine companion Misty, have released a statement praising their ‘beautiful boy’.
“I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared the posts, liked the page, handed out leaflets, stuck up posters, messaged me and supported me while searching for Murph,” said Hayley on the ‘Missing Murph’ Facebook page.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again”
“Today, we found our baby boy, but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
“Our hearts are broken into a million pieces, but we are honoured to have been his family for the past 6 years.”
Murph went missing on December 29 in Coin, and Hayley flew straight back from the UK, searching for him every day from 6:00am to 8:00pm.
She said: “Run free our gorgeous, happy, beautiful boy, we love you so very much and you will be missed more than you’ll ever know.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again.”
- RURAL RETURN: Music, dance and theatre festival run by Brit in rural inland town celebrates fifth anniversary - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 21:00
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44