MISSING German Shepherd Murph has been found dead after a huge search effort in Rio Grande.
British expat Hayley Coulby lost her dog over Christmas when he was attacked by a pack of strays on a walk.
But Murph was confirmed dead on Sunday afternoon when his body was found by volunteers who had set off from the BP garage in the morning.
It is unclear how Hayley’s four-legged friend died, but he was thought to have been dead for some time.
The family, which includes Hayley’s four-year-old daughter and Murph’s canine companion Misty, have released a statement praising their ‘beautiful boy’.
“I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared the posts, liked the page, handed out leaflets, stuck up posters, messaged me and supported me while searching for Murph,” said Hayley on the ‘Missing Murph’ Facebook page.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again”
“Today, we found our baby boy, but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
“Our hearts are broken into a million pieces, but we are honoured to have been his family for the past 6 years.”
Murph went missing on December 29 in Coin, and Hayley flew straight back from the UK, searching for him every day from 6:00am to 8:00pm.
She said: “Run free our gorgeous, happy, beautiful boy, we love you so very much and you will be missed more than you’ll ever know.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again.”
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57