MISSING German Shepherd Murph has been found dead after a huge search effort in Rio Grande.
British expat Hayley Coulby lost her dog over Christmas when he was attacked by a pack of strays on a walk.
But Murph was confirmed dead on Sunday afternoon when his body was found by volunteers who had set off from the BP garage in the morning.
It is unclear how Hayley’s four-legged friend died, but he was thought to have been dead for some time.
The family, which includes Hayley’s four-year-old daughter and Murph’s canine companion Misty, have released a statement praising their ‘beautiful boy’.
“I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared the posts, liked the page, handed out leaflets, stuck up posters, messaged me and supported me while searching for Murph,” said Hayley on the ‘Missing Murph’ Facebook page.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again”
“Today, we found our baby boy, but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
“Our hearts are broken into a million pieces, but we are honoured to have been his family for the past 6 years.”
Murph went missing on December 29 in Coin, and Hayley flew straight back from the UK, searching for him every day from 6:00am to 8:00pm.
She said: “Run free our gorgeous, happy, beautiful boy, we love you so very much and you will be missed more than you’ll ever know.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again.”
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40