THE Government of Gibraltar has announced that a Norwegian helicopter company will offer sightseeing flights around the Rock this year.
FONNAFLY, which began in 2004, will begin offering flights to the people of Gibraltar from May 1.
Flights in the EC130 helicopters are to set off from the airport and last between 10 and 15 minutes in their journey around the Rock.
It comes after years of collaboration between the Gibraltar government and Mr John-Erik Sogn, a Norwegian pilot living in Marbella.
“I am absolutely delighted to welcome FONNAFLY to Gibraltar,” said Gilbert Licudi, the Minister with Responsibility for Commercial Aviation.
He added: “As a private pilot who has seen the Rock from the air on a number of occasions, I know that the tours will provide fabulous views for the passengers.”
The helicopter company say initially they ‘will focus on the tourist market’, but that their entrance into Gibraltar could open the door for other services.
FONNAFLY explain that helicopters could also be used for cargo flights, taxi flights, surveillance, fire fighting, sling load operations, aerial photo services and ship crew change.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25