THE Government of Gibraltar has announced that a Norwegian helicopter company will offer sightseeing flights around the Rock this year.
FONNAFLY, which began in 2004, will begin offering flights to the people of Gibraltar from May 1.
Flights in the EC130 helicopters are to set off from the airport and last between 10 and 15 minutes in their journey around the Rock.
It comes after years of collaboration between the Gibraltar government and Mr John-Erik Sogn, a Norwegian pilot living in Marbella.
“I am absolutely delighted to welcome FONNAFLY to Gibraltar,” said Gilbert Licudi, the Minister with Responsibility for Commercial Aviation.
He added: “As a private pilot who has seen the Rock from the air on a number of occasions, I know that the tours will provide fabulous views for the passengers.”
The helicopter company say initially they ‘will focus on the tourist market’, but that their entrance into Gibraltar could open the door for other services.
FONNAFLY explain that helicopters could also be used for cargo flights, taxi flights, surveillance, fire fighting, sling load operations, aerial photo services and ship crew change.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59