SPANISH prime minister Pedro Sanchez has offered his condolences to the family and friends of little Julen Rossello.
The PSOE leader said the whole of Spain felt the ‘infinite sadness’ of the boy’s parents after the two-year-old was found lifeless down a Malaga well this morning.
Toda España se suma a la tristeza infinita de la familia de Julen. Hemos seguido de cerca cada paso para llegar hasta él. Siempre agradeceremos el incansable esfuerzo de quienes lo buscaron durante todos estos días. Mi apoyo y cariño a sus padres y seres queridos.
— Pedro Sánchez (@sanchezcastejon) January 26, 2019
He said: “All of Spain joins the infinite sadness of Julen’s family.
“We have followed closely every step to reach him.
“We will always appreciate the tireless effort of those who searched for him… My support and love to your parents and loved ones.”
It comes after the 13-day rescue mission ended in tragedy when the boy’s lifeless body was discovered at around 1.25am today.
Spain’s royal family, meanwhile, spoke of their ‘deepest pain’ after hearing the news.
Nuestro dolor más profundo y nuestro pésame más sentido a toda la familia de Julen. Y nuestro reconocimiento a todas y cada una de las personas que, sin descanso, han demostrado su solidaridad sin límites.
— Casa de S.M. el Rey (@CasaReal) January 26, 2019
The official Twitter account said: “Our deepest pain and our deepest condolences to the whole family of Julen.
“And our recognition to each and every one of the people who, without rest, have shown their solidarity without limits.”
Leader of Ciudadanos Albert Rivera also offered his condolences over social media this morning.
Llegan las peores noticias desde Totalán. Descanse en paz el pequeño Julen y todo mi cariño y ánimo para su familia ante un momento tan terrible. Gracias a todos los profesionales que se han volcado en el rescate del niño estos días en que toda España ha estado en vilo. #DEPJulen
— Albert Rivera (@Albert_Rivera) January 26, 2019
“The worst news arrives from Totalán,” he wrote.
“Rest in peace the little Julen and all my love and encouragement for his family at such a terrible time.
“Thanks to all the professionals who have dedicated themselves to the rescue of the child while all of Spain has been in suspense. #DEPJulen.”
The parents were taken to a funeral home in El Palo this morning while authorities have been carrying out an autopsy on the boy.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38