BRITISH Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley has used a speech on the Costa del Sol to reassure British expats worried about Brexit.
The British diplomat spoke at the fourth Brexit seminar in Manilva on Thursday, where he encouraged expats to get residency.
“There is nothing more important than that green piece of paper. It is the access point for getting all services in Spain,” he said at the packed Manilva Town hall building.
Benefits of Spanish residency include getting a permanent NIE number, easier access to healthcare, as well as a more secure form of ID.
Manley spoke to a crowd of 200 people, as he outlined the various scenarios that the UK may leave the European Union in.
Among the other speakers at the event were Mayor of Manilva, Mario Jimenez, Councillor of Manilva, Dean Tyler Shelton and Myra Azzopardi, of the Citizens Advice Bureau Spain.
Azzopardi said: “A lot of people are contacting us desperately to say they can’t get an appointment with their local police station to get registered.
“You have to go local and keep trying.”
British expat Norman Mather, 68, who lives in Estepona, attended the meeting with his wife Veronica, 59.
He told the Olive Press: “The government has been negligent, there has not been enough information for expats.”
The retired former headteacher, originally from Kent, added: “I came here for answers, but at the moment I don’t think they can actually tell us anything.
“At the moment I don’t have a lot of faith in any of the politicians.”
British Prime Minister Theresa May is meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Thursday for last minute changes to her Brexit deal.
The UK is set to leave the European on March 29.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25