THE number of migrants arriving in Spain by boat has increased by almost 400% based on statistics comparing arrivals in the month of January with the same period in 2018.
A total of 4,104 people arrived in 98 boats last month, according to figures seen by the Europa Press—up from 1,396 arrivals in January last year.
This comes after news that Spain has become the most popular route into Europe for migrants and refugees coming from the continent of Africa.
Figures released last month by Frontex, the European Border and Coast Guard Agency, showed the number of arrivals in Spain via the Western Mediterranean route doubled in 2018 to 57,000, and took over from Italy as the most active migratory corridor.
The dramatic decline of illegal crossings into Italy, which fell by 80% in 2018 compared to 2017, came after a controversial deal that saw Italy training and financing the Libyan coastguard to stop migrants crossing the Mediterranean.
Meanwhile Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has proved friendly to migrant boats and charity ships denied access by other European countries.
Just yesterday the Spanish Maritime Rescue saved 278 people from three different boats across the Alboran Sea, according to Europa Press.
- REVEALED: Amy Winehouse wrote three songs from Back to Black while holidaying in Alicante - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 12:25
- HE’S THE DADDY: Ex-lover of Spain’s Julio Iglesias speaks out after singer revealed as FATHER of her child - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 11:51
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30