THE 84 bales of hash that washed up on a Gibraltar beach have been valued at £14 million, according to the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP).
Just under three tonnes of ‘cannabis resin’ were found scattered on a beach following a storm last Thursday in the north in the Bay of Gibraltar.
According to police, the boat carrying the tightly-wrapped drugs parcels, ‘capsized spilling its cargo of bales into the sea’.
The 12m vessel, powered with three engines was spotted drifting in bad weather, before its cargo and three crew members were thrown overboard.
All three suspected drug traffickers were transferred to the port of Algeciras where they received medical attention.
As bales began to wash up on the Rock’s beaches, all available units of the RGP and Gibraltar Defence Police were scrambled to cordon off the area and recover the bales.
A spokesman for the RGP told the Olive Press that the investigation is continuing.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25