THE 84 bales of hash that washed up on a Gibraltar beach have been valued at £14 million, according to the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP).
Just under three tonnes of ‘cannabis resin’ were found scattered on a beach following a storm last Thursday in the north in the Bay of Gibraltar.
According to police, the boat carrying the tightly-wrapped drugs parcels, ‘capsized spilling its cargo of bales into the sea’.
The 12m vessel, powered with three engines was spotted drifting in bad weather, before its cargo and three crew members were thrown overboard.
All three suspected drug traffickers were transferred to the port of Algeciras where they received medical attention.
As bales began to wash up on the Rock’s beaches, all available units of the RGP and Gibraltar Defence Police were scrambled to cordon off the area and recover the bales.
A spokesman for the RGP told the Olive Press that the investigation is continuing.
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- Woman held on suspicion of bludgeoning her sleeping dad to death and knifing mum in back on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 11:55
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01