THE 84 bales of hash that washed up on a Gibraltar beach have been valued at £14 million, according to the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP).
Just under three tonnes of ‘cannabis resin’ were found scattered on a beach following a storm last Thursday in the north in the Bay of Gibraltar.
According to police, the boat carrying the tightly-wrapped drugs parcels, ‘capsized spilling its cargo of bales into the sea’.
The 12m vessel, powered with three engines was spotted drifting in bad weather, before its cargo and three crew members were thrown overboard.
All three suspected drug traffickers were transferred to the port of Algeciras where they received medical attention.
As bales began to wash up on the Rock’s beaches, all available units of the RGP and Gibraltar Defence Police were scrambled to cordon off the area and recover the bales.
A spokesman for the RGP told the Olive Press that the investigation is continuing.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59