ANOTHER Spanish warship has entered British territorial waters at Gibraltar, while playing its national anthem.
A 300ft patrol boat engaged in a two-hour stand off with a 50ft Royal Navy boat, during a training exercise off Gibraltar.
As the HMS Sabre began the drill at around 9am on Tuesday, the Spanish Tornado boat crashed the exercise and refused to move.
Local reports said Royal Navy personnel heard the Spanish national anthem being played over the radio at a base on Gibraltar.
It comes after a Spanish warship illegally encroached into Gibraltar’s waters back in December, also blaring the national anthem of Spain.
After the December incident British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley confirmed that the UK would make a formal complaint to Spain.
The Gibraltar Chronicle reported that the UK will also protest to Spain over this latest incident.
“We can confirm an incursion by the Spanish navy occurred this morning,” a UK Foreign Office spokesperson said.
They added: “As with all incursions, the Royal Navy challenged the vessel.
“When challenged, the Spanish navy vessel subsequently left British Gibraltar Territorial Waters.
“Incursions are a violation of sovereignty, not a threat to it, we have no doubt about our sovereignty over Gibraltar.”
Questions of Gibraltar’s sovereignty have arisen during the negotiations for the UK to leave the European Union.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25