AN elderly couple had only just bought their home when they made a gruesome discovery this week.
While cleaning the property, in Fuengirola, the married pair came across multiple sets of human remains.
The bones had been placed inside a newspaper and suitcase and were kept hidden in a storage room.
The couple called the police who rushed to the property to take the remains away for analysis.
- BONE-FIDE MYSTERY: British expat finds human remains while burying dog in garden on Spain’s Costa del Sol
- Ancient Spanish tomb containing human remains reveals Stone Age burial secrets
- Human remains found by dog walker in Malaga
Police have kept tight-lipped on where the bones could have come from but said nothing is being ruled out.
One hypothesis is that they could have been left behind by a medical student who had been renting the storage room.
Specialists from the Scientific Police Brigade took charge of the scene at the home, where they lifted fingerprints from the suitcase before sending the bones to the Institute of Legal Medicine.
Forensic tests are being carried out today which will reveal details about the age of the bones and who they could have belonged to.
The remains are believed to belong to more than one person.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06