AN elderly couple had only just bought their home when they made a gruesome discovery this week.
While cleaning the property, in Fuengirola, the married pair came across multiple sets of human remains.
The bones had been placed inside a newspaper and suitcase and were kept hidden in a storage room.
The couple called the police who rushed to the property to take the remains away for analysis.
- BONE-FIDE MYSTERY: British expat finds human remains while burying dog in garden on Spain’s Costa del Sol
- Ancient Spanish tomb containing human remains reveals Stone Age burial secrets
- Human remains found by dog walker in Malaga
Police have kept tight-lipped on where the bones could have come from but said nothing is being ruled out.
One hypothesis is that they could have been left behind by a medical student who had been renting the storage room.
Specialists from the Scientific Police Brigade took charge of the scene at the home, where they lifted fingerprints from the suitcase before sending the bones to the Institute of Legal Medicine.
Forensic tests are being carried out today which will reveal details about the age of the bones and who they could have belonged to.
The remains are believed to belong to more than one person.
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20
- Endangered rhino, lion, hippo and tigers part of more than 200 species found at illegal taxidermist in Spain - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 11:26