LLOYDS Banking Group has announced it will close its Gibraltar operations.
The bank will be relocating to Jersey and while it has been scaling back its operations on the Rock for the past few years, Brexit is believed to have sped up the process.
The move is subject to banking licence approval and, according to Lloyds, there is no fixed timing for the move.
However court documents suggest the bank want to complete the relocation to Jersey before the UK and Gibraltar leave the EU.
It comes after Jyske Bank also revealed it would no longer be operating on the Rock, citing Brexit as a main reason.
In a statement released today, the GSD said: “Today’s reports confirming Lloyds Banking Group’s decision to close its Gibraltar operations is clearly unwelcome news.
“From a wider perspective and as was the case with Jyske Bank’s decision, this latest move is also, by all accounts, being dictated by Brexit considerations.”
The statement went on to say that all remaining businesses on the British Overseas Territory must be encouraged to stay put.
It read: “We need to ensure that existing operations in banking, insurance and other sectors such as gaming are encouraged to remain in Gibraltar.”
Meanwhile, GSD executive Damon Bossino added: “The main and immediate preoccupation in all these cases must be with the employees and their families who will be most directly hit the hardest.”
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20