THE Spanish Government is expected to call a snap general election after Parliament has refused to pass the budget.
Catalan parties did not support the 2019 budget proposed by Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
Spain’s leader refused to make concessions to the secessionists over talks about self-determination.
Sanchez’s Socialist PSOE Government does not have an overall majority, as it holds just 84 of the 350 seats in congress.
He is now set to make an announcement about what will happen next for Spain on Friday after the weekly Cabinet meeting.
The government needed the Catalan parties’ support to get the bill passed, but maintained its stance that Spain was ‘indissoluble’ and one part of the country – Catalunya – could not leave the whole.
Meanwhile, the PP leader Pablo Casado, labelled the budget result a ‘a de facto confidence vote’ against Sanchez.
He added: “Or, to put it another way, it marks the end of Pedro Sánchez’s time as prime minister.”
The right-wing PP is currently the largest party in Parliament with 134 seats, as the PSOE are only in power with the support of the left-wing Podemos, lead by Pablo Iglesias.
This latest news comes after the former leader of Andalucia, Susana Diaz, brought forward the local elections of the region to December 2 last year.
The result of that election was the ruling PSOE Socialist party being kicked out of Andalucia after controlling the region for 36 years.
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36
- TRAVEL CHAOS: London Gatwick IT meltdown sees 12 flights cancelled as Spain passenger ‘trapped’ beyond gate - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 12:29
- REVEALED: Marbella Senior Masters lineup sees tennis legends set to battle it out on Costa del Sol THIS SUMMER - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31