THE Spanish Government is expected to call a snap general election after Parliament has refused to pass the budget.
Catalan parties did not support the 2019 budget proposed by Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
Spain’s leader refused to make concessions to the secessionists over talks about self-determination.
Sanchez’s Socialist PSOE Government does not have an overall majority, as it holds just 84 of the 350 seats in congress.
He is now set to make an announcement about what will happen next for Spain on Friday after the weekly Cabinet meeting.
The government needed the Catalan parties’ support to get the bill passed, but maintained its stance that Spain was ‘indissoluble’ and one part of the country – Catalunya – could not leave the whole.
Meanwhile, the PP leader Pablo Casado, labelled the budget result a ‘a de facto confidence vote’ against Sanchez.
He added: “Or, to put it another way, it marks the end of Pedro Sánchez’s time as prime minister.”
The right-wing PP is currently the largest party in Parliament with 134 seats, as the PSOE are only in power with the support of the left-wing Podemos, lead by Pablo Iglesias.
This latest news comes after the former leader of Andalucia, Susana Diaz, brought forward the local elections of the region to December 2 last year.
The result of that election was the ruling PSOE Socialist party being kicked out of Andalucia after controlling the region for 36 years.
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42