ANOTHER Spanish warship has engaged in war games with the British off Gibraltar.
On Sunday, a Spanish military vessel with its guns manned, ordered commercial boats anchored at the rock to ‘leave Spanish territorial waters’.
The command was made in radio exchanges, and the incident was responded to by British Royal Navy ships.
A Government of Gibraltar spokesperson labelled the move as ‘foolish’, while the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo blasted the Spanish show of force.
Speaking online, he said: “Sometimes I really do wonder if I am living in the last year of the second decade of the twenty first century.”
The spokesperson for the British Overseas Territory added: “It seems there are still some in the Spanish navy who think they can flout international law.”
This latest activity by the Spanish navy near Gibraltar follows a string of incidents, which some in the area have viewed as attempts to question the Rock’s sovereignty.
Gibraltar Social Democrats leader Keith Azopardi said: “It is clear there is a systematic and deliberate campaign to assert control in our waters.
“No-one in Gibraltar will believe the notion that we are dealing with a new Spain when these types of incident continue to occur.”
Earlier this month, another Spanish warship encroached into British waters off Gibraltar, playing the national of Spain.
But in his new year’s message Picardo was firm about the Spanish behaviour, as he said questions Gibraltar’s sovereignty were ‘as dead as a dodo’.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26