ANOTHER Spanish warship has engaged in war games with the British off Gibraltar.
On Sunday, a Spanish military vessel with its guns manned, ordered commercial boats anchored at the rock to ‘leave Spanish territorial waters’.
The command was made in radio exchanges, and the incident was responded to by British Royal Navy ships.
A Government of Gibraltar spokesperson labelled the move as ‘foolish’, while the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo blasted the Spanish show of force.
Speaking online, he said: “Sometimes I really do wonder if I am living in the last year of the second decade of the twenty first century.”
The spokesperson for the British Overseas Territory added: “It seems there are still some in the Spanish navy who think they can flout international law.”
This latest activity by the Spanish navy near Gibraltar follows a string of incidents, which some in the area have viewed as attempts to question the Rock’s sovereignty.
Gibraltar Social Democrats leader Keith Azopardi said: “It is clear there is a systematic and deliberate campaign to assert control in our waters.
“No-one in Gibraltar will believe the notion that we are dealing with a new Spain when these types of incident continue to occur.”
Earlier this month, another Spanish warship encroached into British waters off Gibraltar, playing the national of Spain.
But in his new year’s message Picardo was firm about the Spanish behaviour, as he said questions Gibraltar’s sovereignty were ‘as dead as a dodo’.
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53
- Gibraltar announces drone crackdown after Gatwick attacks saw 140,000 travellers affected at Christmas - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46