FOUR buildings in Gibraltar have been awarded coveted awards from the Gibraltar Heritage Trust.
The first Group Heritage Award went to The Arches, Gibraltar’s old police barracks which has had a massive facelift.
The building in Irish Town is a rare example of neoclassical architecture with Tuscan columns and arcades. The Royal Gibraltar Police, established in 1830, is the world’s second oldest police force and the oldest in the Commonwealth.
The second Group Heritage Award went to Plata Villa on Witham’s Road. Originally a private home and then an orphanage, before becoming a school, it also housed Gibraltarian evacuees who started returning to Gibraltar in 1944. The building has been subdivided into four private flats in the new Plata Villa development.
Meanwhile Grape Vine House at 23 Naval Hospital Road, owned by Gil Podesta, scooped the Individual Heritage Award.
And a Special Commendation was handed to Orion House on George’s Lane, a traditional townhouse now converted into four apartments retaining a retail outlet on the ground floor.
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40