THE Pope will force the abbot of Valley of the Fallen tomb to support Franco’s reburial, says Vatican letter.
The Vaticans secretary of state Pietro Parolin has written to Spain’s deputy Prime Minister to lend support for removing the former dictator´s remains.
Parolin has written that the Benedictines who control the burial site will be forced by the Church to obey the decision.
Parolin said: “The Church does not oppose the exhumation of the mortal remains of General Franco, if the competent authority so provides.
“The Benedictine community of the Abbey of the Holy Cross of the Valley of the Fallen was remembered and will continue to remember its civic duty to fully observe the order and respect the civil authorities.”
Franco has been buried at the Valley of the Fallen in Madrid, a monument to the Spanish Civil War, since 1975.
Pedro Sanchez’s government has pledged to move the tomb but discussions over the exhumation of the fascist leader’s remains have divided Spain.
- Police in Spain catch drug ‘home delivery’ biker gang - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 13:05
- Zara launches new customisable denim fashion line in Spain - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 12:07
- Historic Malaga villa owned by ‘Schindler of the Civil War’ demolished - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- Police arrest five ‘drug traffickers’ after young man kidnapped and murdered on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:05
- New property on the Costa soars to upwards of €6,000 per square metre - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- British expat in Spain who ‘asked friend’ to cut off his penis seemed ‘normal’ hours before but ‘struggled with gender’ - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:01
- UK MPs join battle to get millions back for British expats who lost out to rogue FX firm based in Mallorca - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 12:57
- Police in Spain help man with AMPUTATED PENIS in bizarre self-harm case - 12 Mar, 2019 @ 13:15
- Zidane returns to Spain as Real Madrid boss - 11 Mar, 2019 @ 18:34
- PICTURED: Scot killed on Costa Blanca stag do named, as police hunt two British tourists - 11 Mar, 2019 @ 15:00