THE Pope will force the abbot of Valley of the Fallen tomb to support Franco’s reburial, says Vatican letter.
The Vaticans secretary of state Pietro Parolin has written to Spain’s deputy Prime Minister to lend support for removing the former dictator´s remains.
Parolin has written that the Benedictines who control the burial site will be forced by the Church to obey the decision.
Parolin said: “The Church does not oppose the exhumation of the mortal remains of General Franco, if the competent authority so provides.
“The Benedictine community of the Abbey of the Holy Cross of the Valley of the Fallen was remembered and will continue to remember its civic duty to fully observe the order and respect the civil authorities.”
Franco has been buried at the Valley of the Fallen in Madrid, a monument to the Spanish Civil War, since 1975.
Pedro Sanchez’s government has pledged to move the tomb but discussions over the exhumation of the fascist leader’s remains have divided Spain.
- Police in Spain detain gang accused of financing Al-Qaeda terrorism in Syria - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:25
- Murdered mother of five in Andalucia becomes Spain’s 1,000th gender violence victim - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 18:41
- Warning over ruthless Costa Blanca thieves ‘spiking Brits’ in Benidorm with date rape drugs - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- Spain calls on UK to negotiate ‘colonial situation’ of Gibraltar at UN committee meeting - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:05
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05