A SEPTUAGENARIAN has cheated death after he swam to shore when his small fishing boat capsized near Gibraltar.
Hector Baglietto, 79, the vessel’s owner, battled the rough seas as he swam the 25m to shore in a dramatic feat of survival.
The Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP) responded to the distressed vessel off Europa Point at 9:00am on Thursday after Baglietto had set sail at 6:30am.
A local source told the Olive Press that ‘a big wave capsized the boat’ before the pensioner pulled himself out of the water near the Lighthouse Cottages.
Gibraltar Fire and Rescue Service treated the ‘shaken’ Gibraltarian, before he was transferred to St Bernard’s Hospital for medical attention.
An RGP spokesperson said: “Although shaken and disoriented he sustained no life threatening injuries.”
They also confirmed that the boat had sunk after smashing into rocks.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06