A SEPTUAGENARIAN has cheated death after he swam to shore when his small fishing boat capsized near Gibraltar.
Hector Baglietto, 79, the vessel’s owner, battled the rough seas as he swam the 25m to shore in a dramatic feat of survival.
The Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP) responded to the distressed vessel off Europa Point at 9:00am on Thursday after Baglietto had set sail at 6:30am.
A local source told the Olive Press that ‘a big wave capsized the boat’ before the pensioner pulled himself out of the water near the Lighthouse Cottages.
Gibraltar Fire and Rescue Service treated the ‘shaken’ Gibraltarian, before he was transferred to St Bernard’s Hospital for medical attention.
An RGP spokesperson said: “Although shaken and disoriented he sustained no life threatening injuries.”
They also confirmed that the boat had sunk after smashing into rocks.
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44