DEAD: The RiFF restaurant in Valencia where a woman died after eating mushrooms

A SPANISH woman has died after she ate mushrooms at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain.

Maria Jesus Fernandez Calvo, 46, is thought to have ordered a rice and morchella fungi dish at restaurant RiFF in Valencia.

The diner died at her home just hours after eating off the tasting menu with her husband and son, 12, who were also infected.

DEADLY: The morchella fungi carries a toxin unless it is dried out and well-cooked

A total of 18 diners were taken ill, with many vomiting, and the Valencian Minister of Health , Ana Barcelo, says her department is now investigating.

“We’ve conducted a primary inspection of the establishment and everything appears to be normal,” she said.

“Analytical tests will now be carried out on the food products.”

Ingredients from the kitchen are now being tested by Spain’s National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Science.

SORRY: Chef and owner of RiFF Bernd Knoller said he regrets what happened

Morchella is a type of fungus that is usually dried out and well-cooked to get rid of the hydrazine toxin.

Chef and owner of RiFF Bernd Knoller confirmed the restaurant would remain closed, while investigations took place.

He said: “I want to convey my deep regret for what happened, hoping that soon all these facts can be clarified.”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.