A SPANISH woman has died after she ate mushrooms at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain.
Maria Jesus Fernandez Calvo, 46, is thought to have ordered a rice and morchella fungi dish at restaurant RiFF in Valencia.
The diner died at her home just hours after eating off the tasting menu with her husband and son, 12, who were also infected.
A total of 18 diners were taken ill, with many vomiting, and the Valencian Minister of Health , Ana Barcelo, says her department is now investigating.
“We’ve conducted a primary inspection of the establishment and everything appears to be normal,” she said.
“Analytical tests will now be carried out on the food products.”
Ingredients from the kitchen are now being tested by Spain’s National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Science.
Morchella is a type of fungus that is usually dried out and well-cooked to get rid of the hydrazine toxin.
Chef and owner of RiFF Bernd Knoller confirmed the restaurant would remain closed, while investigations took place.
He said: “I want to convey my deep regret for what happened, hoping that soon all these facts can be clarified.”
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06