A SPANISH woman has died after she ate mushrooms at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain.
Maria Jesus Fernandez Calvo, 46, is thought to have ordered a rice and morchella fungi dish at restaurant RiFF in Valencia.
The diner died at her home just hours after eating off the tasting menu with her husband and son, 12, who were also infected.
A total of 18 diners were taken ill, with many vomiting, and the Valencian Minister of Health , Ana Barcelo, says her department is now investigating.
“We’ve conducted a primary inspection of the establishment and everything appears to be normal,” she said.
“Analytical tests will now be carried out on the food products.”
Ingredients from the kitchen are now being tested by Spain’s National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Science.
Morchella is a type of fungus that is usually dried out and well-cooked to get rid of the hydrazine toxin.
Chef and owner of RiFF Bernd Knoller confirmed the restaurant would remain closed, while investigations took place.
He said: “I want to convey my deep regret for what happened, hoping that soon all these facts can be clarified.”
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44