SPANISH doctors have launched an ambitious plan to eradicate Hepatitis C in just three years.
Experts have created a 10-point strategy to treat the 70,000 to 100,000 Spaniards who are unaware that they have the bloodborne virus.
The move is a bid to meet the World Health Organisation (WHO) requirements, which stipulate that Hepatitis C must be eliminated by 2021.
In order to reach those most at risk Aehve have now identified three groups most at risk – drug addicts, gay men having unprotected sex, and immigrants from countries with high prevalence rates.
Scientists have formed the Alliance for the Elimination of Viral Hepatitis (Aehve) and say their plan allows them to ‘get close’ to achieving the three-year goal.
According to the WHO there is no current vaccine for Hepatitis C, but in Spain a drug has been deployed since 2015 to treat over 120,000 people.
The direct-acting antiviral treatment rolled out in 2015 has achieved a 95% success rate in treating patients.
“We are world leaders in this field, with a history of success, but we also have to bear in mind that people are still dying from this illness,” Aehve coordinator Javier García-Samaniego said when Spain’s plan was launched.
The scientists have recommended that non-medical institutions should refer Hepatitis C sufferers, including mental health centres, NGOs and social services.
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50