ONLY 970 Spaniards have responded to 23,000 job offers to pick strawberries in Huelva despite the province having the third highest unemployment rate in Spain.
Fruit growers are now being forced to look abroad for workers to fill the labour gap.
Last month, plans were set in motion to hire more than 19,000 seasonal workers from north Africa to help harvest strawberries and other berries.
Did you know?
Huelva is soft fruit and berry capital of Europe. In 2018 it produced 280,300 tons of strawberries, 19,170 tons of raspberries; 38,000 tons of blueberries and 1,800 of blackberries worth €437.2 million.
Just over 11,464 hectares is dedicated to growing berries in plastic tunnels. Strawberries take up about 6,000 hectares.
After a slow beginning this year, farmers who produce strawberries for export across Europe, said they need 19,179 extra pairs of hands by no later than March to cope with the harvest.
Some 11,500 of these workers will have picked berries in Huelva before, others will be first timers.
Union sources told local media they are extremely disappointed with the poor response rate from work shy residents in Huelva when unemployment in the province is 22.79%.
Only Badajoz and Cadiz have higher rates of joblessness with 24.10% and 27.35% each. Pay for picking strawberries ranges from €30 to €42 per day.
The work is mostly carried out by Moroccan women who work at least 39 hours per week, and sometimes 10 hours more.
Last year the Andalucian Employment Service offered 11,000 fruit picking jobs and the response from Spanish jobseekers was just as bad with fewer than 1,000 people taking up the opportunity.
In total, the producers association Freshuelva estimates that 80,000 workers will be needed to this year to pick the wide varieties of berries in Huelva, with the majority of those being migrant workers.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22