THE Guardia Civil have performed a dramatic helicopter rescue of a cyclist in Mallorca after his handlebars skewered him through the groin.
The Mountain Rescue division raced to save the Spaniard on Saturday as he was rapidly losing blood following a crash.
After the handlebar punctured the man’s groin area and he continued to bleed, his friend revealed that the man lost consciousness.
A statement from the Guardia Civil said that the man had suffered a ‘deep wound’ from the accident.
Rescue teams swiftly transferred him to the Balearic island’s Son Espases Hospital where he was given emergency surgery.
He had been riding in the Puig de Galatzó mountain area, which stands at over 1000m at the summit and is a popular area for tourists in Mallorca.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06