THE Guardia Civil has arrested six people in Andalucia after they seized over 15,400 packs of contraband cigarettes that were sold in sweet shops.
Two brothers and two women, all members of a criminal gang, were among the arrests made in Jerez and Sevilla.
The tobacco, worth €67,000, was smuggled through Gibraltar, but was intercepted by authorities as part of ‘Operation Nicotine’.
Well-known brands, including American Legend, Marlboro and Chesterfield, were among the tobacco seized.
Officers made searches of two homes in Sevilla where the tobacco was stored, and two sweet shops where packs were sold illegally.
It is thought that the smuggling gang made orders of between 3,500 and 5,000 packs of cigarettes a week.
An initial haul by officers at a home in Los Barrios found 4,000 packs worth €16,200, which did not have the legal seals.
At two sweet shops in Sevilla officers seized a further 11,412 packs of cigarettes from Gibraltar, worth a total of €50,635.
One of the brothers was the ‘runner’ in the operation, meaning he would load up a car with tobacco and smuggle it into Spain.
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53
- Gibraltar announces drone crackdown after Gatwick attacks saw 140,000 travellers affected at Christmas - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46