A LORRY driver six times over the alcohol limit was caught by police after he steered 18 tonnes of mandarins into a ditch.
The 42-year-old Spaniard tested positive for 0.90mg of alcohol per litre of breath—well over the legal limit of 0.15mg, and exceeding the 0.60mg limit which carries compulsory punishments.
The driver, who careened off the RM F-25 highway just outside San Pedro del Pinatar, was taken to a San Javier courthouse where he faces three to six months in prison, a fine, or between one and three months of community service.
He will also face a driving ban of up to four years.
A tow truck rushed to the scene but took four hours to pull the vehicle, bound for Oliva, out of the ditch.
- Benidorm town hall denounces ‘fake news’ from UK tabloids claiming organised gangs are drugging and robbing Brits in Benidorm - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain’s 7th Masterchef series closes in Denia following semi-final insult to Valencian cuisine - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- Guardia Civil offer ‘five second rule’ to determine if pavements are too hot for dog paws this summer - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- WHAT’S UP DOC?: Spanish doctor’s note goes viral on social media as patient needs ‘Rosetta Stone’ to decipher it - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00
- MISTAKE: ‘Laboratory error’ led to false diagnosis of Chikungunya by Icelandic hospital as Spain remains free of tropical virus - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:26
- BEERATO: Spain sells cheapest alcohol in the whole eurozone - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Brit fuming as new Bentley is towed away in Benidorm thanks to slow government database - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 17:33
- Valencia gets first UNESCO biosphere reserves with Alto Turia and Valle de Cabriel - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 17:14
- IN PICS: England football legend Paul Gascoigne SPOTTED with fans in Benidorm in run up to public speaking tour - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 16:07
- Spain’s first original Netflix documentary ‘The Alcassar Murders’ released detailing horrific 1992 triple homicide in Valencia - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 15:25