A LORRY driver six times over the alcohol limit was caught by police after he steered 18 tonnes of mandarins into a ditch.
The 42-year-old Spaniard tested positive for 0.90mg of alcohol per litre of breath—well over the legal limit of 0.15mg, and exceeding the 0.60mg limit which carries compulsory punishments.
The driver, who careened off the RM F-25 highway just outside San Pedro del Pinatar, was taken to a San Javier courthouse where he faces three to six months in prison, a fine, or between one and three months of community service.
He will also face a driving ban of up to four years.
A tow truck rushed to the scene but took four hours to pull the vehicle, bound for Oliva, out of the ditch.
- Police capture guinea fowl that sent residents ‘crazy’ with its racket on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 16:23
- Naked effigies of Trump, Hitler, Stalin and Franco torched in Valencia’s Las Fallas festival - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 15:27
- IN PICS: raw sewage pumped out at three places off Nerja beaches - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 14:56
- EU offers Brexit extension until May if MPs support withdrawal deal next week - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 13:07
- British couple arrested for ‘leading’ huge marijuana network on Costa Blanca, caught with €216,000 of drugs including cannabis ‘jelly beans’, ‘jam’ and ‘cream chocolate spread’ - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:38
- Drones used for ‘first time’ in battle against toxic caterpillars on Costa Blanca - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- Disabled British man found unconscious after ‘intense’ gas cylinder inferno on the Costa Blanca - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 18:17
- NOT A BIN: Plastic fills river on Costa Blanca just hours after a 20-tonne clean-up - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:45
- Benidorm’s legendary Tiki Beach bar re-opens… but now under name ‘Aloha Beach’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- IN PICS: eagle-owls and kestrels ELECTROCUTED by cables in crucial Spanish wetland - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 18:09